Crazy about maps

For the Love of Maps

A couple of years ago, I scored a bunch of maps from a church rummage sale. I didn't know what I was going to with them at the time.

 Since then, I have become totally obsessed with maps. I sometimes sit around just thinking about all the stuff I can do with them. And believe me, the options are endless. So let's see what I Projects I have tried.

Project 1: Map Table
My first project was to make the map coffee table, it was stained, so it needed an update anyway.    

The map was the perfect size for the table, so it was meant to be. I used modge lodge to stick it down, and then covered it with a couple of layers of poly acrylic. The poly helped protect it and made it so I could easily wipe up stains. We have now had the coffee table for 3 years, and some of the stains have managed to soak through. So in hindsight I probably would have done a few more coats.

Project 2: Map Dresser
Next up was the dresser. This dresser was a complete mess. It was left in our old house when we bought it. One of the drawers had a corner missing, and it was full of dings and scratches. Of course, I have no before shots, I'm working on remembering to do that.


I fixed the corner with Qwik Wood. It worked great, my husband was doubtful, but I totally proved him wrong. Which was almost as satisfying as actually fixing the dresser. Next I painted it pea soup green. I then cut up a street map of St Paul, giving myself a generous seam allowance and afixed it with modge lodge. My seam allowance proved to be a little too generous, so it didn't lay out exactly as I wanted, but good enough. Again, I put on layers of poly acrylic. Unfortunately the map wasn't quite affixed in spots, so it has bubbled, and the kids have picked at it. Another lesson learned.

Project 3:  Map Bookcase
I took a small bookcase that had seen better days, again no before shot, and added a map to the back. The bookcase has been reused and repurposed several times. It has been used in almost every room of the house. It started out in a medium wood tone. When it was moved to Juniper's room, it was painted white. Now it acts as an alter of sorts, showcasing my religious and spiritual ephemera.

Project 4: Map Drawers
Next up was the built in, in the living room. Like the rest of the house, it was an ugly fake wood color. I painted it white to match the rest of the house, and took the door off. The door made it hard to access the contents of the drawers and just felt unnecessary. But once the doors were off the drawer fronts stuck out, they were a natural wood color that just didn't go with the rest of the room. So I decided this would be another great use for one of my maps, Europe to be exact. Again, I started with modge podge, the put on a coat of poly.  I apparently didn't  learn from my last project, so there are a few bubbles that bother me, but all in all, I love the way it looks.

Project 5: Map Wallpaper
One obvious use for maps is wallpaper. The back door area had this cheesy blue wallpaper from the 70's below a chair rail.


 So I decided to cover it up with pages out of a vintage atlas. Since it was only half a wall I figured I could cover it with the United States. Since the states are printed back to back, I had to use two atlases, plus add in Canada and Guam.

 This time around I put away the modge podge and bought some wallpaper paste. I also used an old credit card as a squeegee. It worked great.
   

I love the way it turned out. It is so bright and cheery. I just need to hang some fun prints on the space above the chair rail. My hope is to use the rest of the atlas to cover the wallpaper on the cabinets in Nick's shop space. The colors work well with the baby blue. 

Project 6: Switch Plate Covers. 
This was a super easy and cheap project. I bought a bunch of old switch plate covers from the ReStore for $1. I then used generous amounts of modge podge to cover them. They are so cute. I think I am going to do a bunch more, they are just so easy. I may even sell them someday.
   

Project 7: Boxes
This is a pretty basic project, but I will include it nonetheless. I covered and old shoe box to put craft supplies in, but you could use it to wrap presents too.


Project 8: Earrings
I got the idea at a local craft fair, and thought I would try it myself. I think they turned out okay, but I might cover it with poly acrylic to make it a bit more durable. They are kind of delicate as it, but cute.


So that is all for now, but I am always on the look out for new ideas. Any suggestions?

Until next time...

Comments

Popular Posts

Instagram