Fun with Spray Paint part II

So Nick recently scored a bunch of chairs for free. I spotted them on craigslist, but he is the one who actually went and got them. I have been loving painted furniture recently and really wanted to get some chairs to try it out.  This was a total score.

6 chairs, 7 if you count the one that is currently in pieces. I love that some of them have fabric seats, so easy to customize and make look super cute.

So I had my chance. The kids were watching Big Hero 6, which gave me exactly 108 minutes to get my project done.

I chose one of the chairs with the rose detail. 
I had purchased some spray paint for my craft room and decided I would make this the chair for my sewing desk.

So to get started I removed the seat, super easy, then lightly sanded. I like to grab a piece of scrap wood from my husband's workshop to wrap the sandpaper around. It makes it easier to grip.

After sanding, wipe it down, then spray even coats. Sometimes it gets a little drippy when I am not careful. So I try and make sure to look closely, so I can fix it quick before it dries. Ideally you are supposed to have nice even coats, but nobody is perfect. I try. It takes about 2-3 coats. So I worked on the seat in between coats.
Now I could take off the old fabric, but it is always fun to leave the history. 

I happened to have a square of fabric that I had planned on making a pillow with, but I already covered the ottoman with that same fabric, so I decided to use it on the chair instead. I also grabbed the electric staple gun. This puppy packs a punch, but I still have to throw my weight into it for it to work. It still doesn't all the time, so I just hammer in the staples when I'm done.
Then I just popped it into place and ....tada finished with time to spare.


The kids finished their movie right after I got done and Juniper insisted on trying it out.


I love how her outfit matches the color. Now don't judge me, I know Sullivan is not wearing pants. We are trying to potty train....it is not going well :( Plus he refuses to take the Buzz Lightyear shirt off. Thus the project, I am not taking that child into public anytime soon.

Here the chair is in its new space.


So who wants to come over and paint a chair with me? I have more than I need, tons of fabric to choose from, and netflix to keep the kiddos occupied.


Until next time...








Comments

Popular Posts

Instagram