Fun with Spray Paint

I have been having blast lately giving new life to old stuff using the power of spray paint.  I learned a few things, like don't paint on a windy day, the brand of spray paint really does matter, and remember to take before pictures.

I started my projects with an old metal cart. I am so bummed I forgot a before picture because this thing was a mess. I was a totally transformation. We found the cart on the side of the road. I love free roadside finds. It was rusty and gross. We used it to store old gallons of paint. So it seemed perfect for my first project. 


Super cute, right?! I just need to find a butcher block top for it, and it will be perfect.

The major thing I learned was that high quality spray paint matters. I next wanted to repaint some tray tables I had purchased at a garage sales years ago. I ran out of paint from the metal cart and decided to just pick up some new paint at Michaels instead of heading back to Wet Paint.  Bad idea.


I hate to say this, but I should have listened to my husband. He is somewhat of an expert on the subject, but I got cocky. I originally purchased the paint on the far left. It was great, I just ran out. So I then purchased the paint on the far right. It was awful. It was watery, stripy and didn't cover at all. So I admitted to my husband that he was right and headed to Dick Blick to get more paint. Most of the spray paint at hardware stores is fine, it just comes in limited colors, so you have to go get the good stuff at an art supply store, a real art store, not Michaels...no offense.


So, here is my progress shot of the trays. They were originally brass that I painted black ages ago.


Now they are bright and fun. I use them for side tables in the dining room, but pull them out so the kids can sometimes eat in front of a movie...special occasions only, I swear.

Next up was craft room storage. I had  a plastic drawer thing and a banged up filing cabinet. The black/white thing worked in the old space, but it wanted something bright and funky this time around.


I also painted an old kitty statue that was my late aunt's.


It is a great bookend, and looks a lot better than the grubby white it was before.

I am sure I will be doing lots more in the near future. It is so simple and cheap, two things I love in home decorating projects.

Until next time...









Comments

Popular Posts

Instagram