Master Bedroom Closets Phase 2

I was really hoping to blog about my finished dining room, but that is not the case. I just can't make myself finish scraping the wallpaper. Every weekend I have the best intentions of scraping, and every weekend I find something else to do instead.

One of those things, was to reorganize my closets. You may remember that I repurposed our changing table as shelves in my closet when we first moved in.

Now that we have lived here awhile, I decided I needed to rehaul how we are using the space. The space is there, it just wasn't fully functional.  So  I decided to build permanent shelves in one of the closets, and consolidate all the hanging stuff into the other.

Step 1. I put up an "out of season" closet up in the basement. I put all of my dresses and Nick's suits down there to free up some space in the bedroom closets. I took the closet rod from the closet on the right and repurposed it, in a space under the stairs to the basement. Cost: Free. 

Step 2. I installed brackets in the closet to hang shelves.  The brackets were taken from an old piece of furniture. Cost:Free.
I used IKEA storage cubes to determine the height for my bottom shelf, and went from there.

Step 3. This is when I called in for help. Nick cut out shelves from scrap mdf we had in the garage. Since nothing in an old house is actually square, it took a couple of cuts to get everything to actually fit. Cost: Free.

Step 4. I took some old hooks I had and installed them on either side of the closet for belts and other accessories. Cost: Free.


Step 5. Everything was so easy, I decided to keep going. I repeated he process by building shelves for the waste of space gun rack in our bedroom. Since I don't believe in owning guns, a gun rack serves no purpose in our house. So I decided to use more brackets, and have Nick cut me more shelves. Now Nick has space for his t-shirt collection. Cost: Free.



I am hoping to eventually paint the shelves and possibly the interiors of the closets for a fun pop of color. Also,  have all the closets upstairs to tackle.  There are so many closets, but none of them have shelves.

For now, I am just enjoying the new found organization. Plus I am feeling really proud of our remodel by reusing old materials, and I did it myself. Well with a little help from Nick.




Comments

Popular Posts

Instagram